Wednesday, June 26, 2002

Despite my passionate political beliefs I've pretty much tried my hardest to avoid talking about the Israeli Palestinian conflict. Not that I don't have an opinion on it, it’s just that it's as messy as you can possibly imagine. I also feel biased because of my heritage (I’m a Heeb). I have so many “Did you know” facts stored in my cranium that I could spout that would justify a lot of what Israel is doing, but what would that accomplish? Both sides have merit, and have suffered immensely and immeasurably.

I feel uncomfortable around my Jewish friends and relatives because if you criticize Israel you are at least questioned in your love for your fellow Jew. I get emails from my cousin who's been a Dem his whole life and mentions how Tom Delay and Alan Keyes are behind the Israeli struggle. It makes me question myself "Am I on the right side here? Alan Keyes for pete sakes!!!! What the hell is this world coming to when liberal Jews are looking to Tom Delay and Alan Keyes for guidance?"

And yet I can't stand some of the stuff that's coming out of a lot of the "Liberal" circles. I was severely disappointed in the total biased viewpoint by groups like Pacifica, Free Speech Radio News, This Is Hell and Counterspin. I remember hearing on FSRN and Counterspin a report talking about how there were no gunman or terrorists in the Church of the Nativity and how some Israeli soldier had broken the hand of some old woman holed up there. I had heard a Monk on NPR talk about the armed Palestinians who had taken over, and Time had a journalist inside the Church. Time showed pictures of the gunman and their guns, about 20 of them. They were touting the 500 death count of the Palestinians, when in reality it barely came out to 50. The loss of 50 people is terrible no doubt, but it’s awfully hard for me to muster up sympathy for all of them when you photos of Hamas members in the street firing at IDF soldiers.

More of this “See what I want to see, hear what I want to hear, believe what I want to believe” bullshit. I lost a lot of faith in some of those liberal news sources during those weeks. I take just about everything I see with a grain of salt, except maybe NPR. Counterspin's favorite target it seems is NPR - it's part of the whole "I'm a better liberal than you are" speil.

Both groups have segments within them that have philosophical beliefs that are irreconcilable with the other. I just don't see a solution in sight. Why Arafat didn't even come up with a counter offer to Barak's plan is beyond me.

As for our President he blew it when he took office. It just seemed like he crossed his arms and turned his back hoping that if we ignore the problem it will go away. It was like 1941 all over again, we're going back to our isolationist mentality. What kills me is we FUND BOTH SIDES!!!!!

We send approximately $2 Billion in aid to Israel, not to mention another $2 Billion to Egypt to essentially play nice with Israel. While they show no outward hostility in military force they certainly stir up enough animosity thru their press by propagating anti Israeli sentiment. We say nothing, we just keep our mouths shut. This hostility from the Arab world makes it easier for Israel to justify their actions "They hated us before, they hate us now, they'll always hate us, so let's just do what we want." Sharon needs the extreme hatred of the Arab world in order to continue doing what he's doing.

We also send untold billions to repressive Middle Eastern Theocracies that stir up hatred of Israel, fund terrorism, etc. We continue our oil habit with little signs of showing. It sure as hell not going to get better with an Oil man in office.

How in the world do you take this isolationist attitude we knee deep in the muckety muck? What the hell was he thinking? Bush's logic (can you call it that?) is that you need to sort it out when we clearly have a stake in the future of the region. No oil from the Middle East means our economy comes to a screeching halt faster than you can say Jihad three times fast. If you really want to go isolationist you need to pull out on every front. You'd have to stop funding both sides and leave. I have no idea what goes on in that pea brained dopes we have as our leader. I have no idea how so many dopes in the GOP voted for Bush over McCain.

This'll probably be my last post till next week. I move this weekend, and have a test on Monday. It's gonna be a sucky weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home