Monday, June 10, 2002

I saw none of the political shows this past Sunday, missed This Is Hell, and didn't hear much NPR this weekend. Much of that has to do with the fact that a friend from out of town came to Chicago. I did my best to show her around and I'm pretty sure she had a good time. It was a bit nostalgic to see her and have her here, among other friends. Sometimes I feel like I spend too much time pine-ing (sp?) for my past. While there have been some very satisfying life moments post college, there have been some serious ups and downs. College has definitely been the most enjoyable period of my life.

Speaking of which, go to this guy's site. Apparently Brad's got me perma-linked, and his cell phone # is posted no less. Don't blame me if some drunked idiot starts harrasing you Brad, those Knife Of Simpson boys are outta control and have a twisted sense of humor. I hope I don't sound like some grandfatherly person dispensing advice, being that I 'm not that much older than you and haven't seen that much more in life than yourself, but enjoy everything you can.... especially college. I might dispense more collegiate advice later. For now I'll keep my mouth shut.

Went to see the Chihuly exhibit at Garfield Park with my out of town visitor - I am thouroughly impressed, both with the Exhibit and Garfield Park Conservatory. I forget how ridiculously large a city Chicago is, and it's a bit of a shame that is takes a visitor from out of town for me to go see some of the neighborhoods beyond my own that I've never been to in Chicago. For fucks sake I've been here 5 years and have yet to see Frank Lloyd Wright's studio in Oak Park!!! Can't wait around forever. Isn't it weird that you see more of your own town when someone else is visiting? I know people who lived in New York for their whole life and had never been to The Statue of Liberty, The WTC, and The Empire State Building, I bet hundreds of thousand of people said "Yeah we'll get to the top of the Twin Towers one of these days" The lesson is don't wait.... Either you or the destination may not be there tomorrow.

If you live in Chicago you had better hurry up and go see the Chihuly exihibit. Dale Chihuly is a glass artist and a lot of his work is on display at the enclosed greenhouse in the park. His work is really impressive and the setting makes it that much more interesting. Instead of a sterile white cold environment of a museum, the glass is in between and among the plantlife. It fits perfectly because his work is so organic. The exhibit was supposed to end back in May 19th, but due to popular demand it's been extended till I think the end of the summer. And it's only $2.00. Way better than paying 9.50 to see the Top of the Hancock building.

I was amazed at the sheer size of the indoor Garfield Park Conservatory(click here to see pics), much bigger than the Lincoln Park Conservatory. I may have to go there during the winter when the lack of green all around is depressing. It's amazing how many resources the city of Chicago really has, and how little we use them.

I've been reading a buddhist philosphy book and doing my best to heed the advice of living in the now, every moment is fleeting, everything is temporary. It's hard to remember all the time, but I do my best.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home