Friday, September 06, 2002

It is like information theory; it is noise driving out the signal. But it is noise posing as signal so you do not even recognize it as noise. The intelligence agencies call it disinformation, something the Soviet Bloc relies on heavily. If you can float enough disinformation into circulation you will totally abolish everyone's contact with reality, probably your own included - taken from the book The Trasmigration of Timothy Archer, author Philip K. Dick


I haven't posted much since I've been so busy lately. I moved this past weekend and I'm still trying to settle in. Moving out wasn't too bad though.

I had been living with what is now ex-roommate for the past 3+ years. Despite difficult times and aggravating moments (she'd move my stuff with out asking, I wouldn't do the dishes in a timely manner) I'd have to say that our time as rent sharers went pretty well, especially considering all our differences. She's (a) a dedicated Republican and (b) a religious Christian (sort of anyway). I have no idea how you rectify these things with your rock and roll aspirations, being that she was the main songwriter in a couple of bands. However from what I recall, a couple of the Spice Girls were more conservative, since they named Margret Thatcher the original Spice Girl, so she can't be the only one.

I'm amazed that we got along as well as we did. I did my best to completely avoid any and all political and religious discussions, although she did try to engage me in those types of debates an awful lot. I'd do my best to point out the faults that both Lib/Dem's and Conservative/Repubs had serious faults, and she was pretty patient and understanding when listening to me. I can't say she was the brightest person I've met though, so engaging in meaningful debate was not really worth it. Most of the typical conservative idealogy she spouted seemed like it was ingested while listening to Rush Limbaugh/ Christian Talk radio & watching Brit Hume/Tony Snow on Fox News, and then regurgitated when appropriate. It just didn't sound like she thought all that much for herself, that her personal beliefs came from within.

She hated Clinton with a passion. While I have a more positive outlook on the Bubba era, he certainly did give conservatives plenty of completely legitimate excuses to justify the hate they had for him anyway, all positive things aside. But I'd hear her say "I just love Bush" and it would send me to a fury. She went to the South side of Chicago for the St. Patty's Day Parade just to catch a glimpse of him. How can you not see what a complete idiot he is, how hypocritical he's been, how completely unqualified he is for the job he wasn't even elected to? I'll come back to that, but I digress.... this is not the point of this post.

The 3 years of the aforementioned stuff, and the stress of moving, and the fact that she had moved my boots and I couldn't find them while I was packing had made me very stressed and edgy the day before I was to move. So when she tried to engage me for the last time while we were living together as I was hauling stuff to my car, I kinda lost it... I lost bad. This how she started, and it is grossly paraphrased, so please bear with.

Ex-roommate : "I saw this woman on television the other day... I guess she had just written a book. She was awesome, I was so impressed and felt so empowered. She was just giving it to those liberals..."

Already my eyebrows were raised. I had a terrible feeling I knew who she was talking about.

Ex-roommate : "She was on Today with Katie Couric and she just gave it to her ...blah blah blah... liberals are hypocrites, blah blah blah (fill in your own conservative rhetoric). I can't remember her name, she had blonde hair, really skinny..." Like (a) Katie Couric is the bastion of liberal thought, the source for all liberal thought and (b) She's covertly indoctrinating morning viewers into liberal idealogy from her seemingly innocent morning post on a popular television show.

Me, with liberal bile on full rolling boil: "Was it Anne Coulter?"

A huge smile broke out on her face and she nodded enthusiastically, to which she responded, "Yeah that's the one...I just love her"

Whether you know this or not, Anne's most famous comment was in a column she had written just days following September 11th, in which she said, and I quote - "We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

My roommate went to recount how Mrs. Coulter has said that so many people had raised a ruckus that she had lost her job because of those damn pc liberals, but look at the end result. President Bush had adopted 2/3 of her quote as standard policy! How fucking high or delusional do you have to be to believe something as stupid as that? Anne Coulter is taking credit for Bush's actions, making good on her comments about "invade their countries" and "kill their leaders", like he just hasn't gotten to the last part.

Never mind the fact that we haven't actually killed that many of their leaders , mainly because we sent the Northern Alliance after Osama in Tora Bora instead of doing it ourselves (I'll save that one for another time, if I can get to it...probably not). Never mind the fact that we really haven't done all that much to the people that are more reprehensible for this; I'm referring to Reagan, Bush I & II have had Uncle Sam's ass cheeks spread wide so Saudi Arabia and other oil producing /American hating theocracies have been able to take advantage of us for the past 20+ years and then throw it back in our faces. Yeah we sent some troops to Afghanistan, but really Afghanistan is like busting the small time drug dealer while not doing anything about where they grow the drugs....

My Question is this:

How fucked is the world we live in that the truth is now negotiable or even negligible?



If you’ve seen anything cited by Suburban Limbo on posts like this or this or even this, not to mention plety of other websites, you'd know there is a ton of documented bullshit that flows from her lips like the Mississippi. Just check this one out. It's a site that claims to be a conservative website dedicated to debunking Anne Coulter. It may or may not be conservative but they do a pretty good job of bringing down the horse. Salon did an article on her and her book not too long ago.

(to be continued, it's too much for one post)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home