Friday, September 20, 2002

My new favorite album at the station is Comets on Fire- - Field Recordings from the Sun. They come from the same influences as Monster Magent around Spine of God era, minus the coherent lyrics about 70's nostalgia and imagery (i.e. ZOSO and Fragile, lotso drug references, Hawkwind, etc) More Blue Cheer-ish, very sludgy, psychadelic and distorted, and the drummer sounds a lot like MM's. I can't get enough of this one at the station, and I highly recommend that you at the very least check it out.

I heard the last 15 seconds of distortion from the first track, Beneath the Ice Age, on WLUW and right away I knew this was something special. Two days later I stepped into the WZRD station and lo and behold there it was in the new bin. I can't quite decide whether FRFTS or Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stoneage is better. Both are solid choices.

Apparently there is no homepage for Bada bing records, the label that served up this fine sonic slab of sludge, however there are numerous reviews for the band on other sites, so don't take my word for it, listen to someone else!

This is a live review of Comets on Fire. I guess they don't tour much now, do they?

Here's a great review from fakejazz mag online I too had no idea how much this album would kick my ass.

I couldn't find a sound link, but if you trust me enough to just go out and buy it, here's the site to buy it on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home