Tuesday, December 10, 2002

Rep. Nancy Pelosi of California, who will take over as House Democratic leader next month, said of Lott, ``He can apologize all he wants. It doesn't remove the sentiment that escaped his mouth that day."


Someone in the news makes a verbal gaffe that is this bad, such as Lott or John Rocker (or anyone past/present/future) and then that same person proceeds to apologize. I have frequently had this thought after these situations -

Are you sorry that you said something that reflects your true feelings and you wish to work on yourself to improve those negative ideas or biases that you have OR are you sorry that you opened up your big fat trap and now have to pay the price?

They are two really different things. I've said more than my share of the wrong thing at the wrong time and I have been sorry for saying what I said, maybe said in a mean or inappropriate way. But many times, while I apologized for my lack of diplomacy, I pretty much felt strongly about the sentiment, even if I regretted saying what I said (i.e. "your band sucks"or "honey, you went about complaining to the neighbors upstairs about all the noise they're making totally wrong" etc).

Lott chose the weakest and most opaque way to express something that is downright morally reprehensible (Segregation, Jim Crow, etc.) The apology he issued could not have been any weaker for the a guy that slammed the Dems mercilesly after Daschle and Dem Leaders questioned the war on terrorism. I am a bit surprised that Dem. leaders in the Senate are steering clear of something so obviously awful. Pansy asses... all of them. And the very thing that hurt them so much during 2002 election might very well do damage if some Dems don't get some balls and start saying something about what Lott implied in his celebration for that geezer Strom.

The black vote won't have confidence in the Dems unless someone speaks up. Hell, the black vote that the Democrats deperately need to unseat Dubya might decide not show up in 2004. Gore is the only guy who said a damn thing and that might be enough to put him over the top in the Democratic Primary for 2004. I don't want to go out on a limb on a prediction like this, anything can happen between now and Nov 04, but I really think that this might be the kinda thing that puts him on the ticket and potentially in the White House. You could do better than Gore.... but you could do a lot worse.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home