Monday, December 09, 2002

A shoutout to my new best friend Chas of The Chasbah . It's nice to be noticed and appreciated. Chasbah gave me a nice compliment but it isn't obvious unless you go here and then run your mouse over the words Blowtorch Monkey Armada on the post for Sunday Dec. 8th (theres a little help/tag line) It's nothing big, just a well appreciated compliment on my blogging. Thank you Chas, it's nice to be appreciated, not to mention even acknowledged that someone is reading this thing and it's not a complete waste of time.

Sometimes I have to wonder what people are thinking when they wind up here or read my blog. I rarely get unsolicited email, and since I don't have commenting ability (yet), I'm not sure if they come to BMA to read what I have to say based on my latest post, or because they came here looking for classical music of the devil or cock longe white movie (doh! a spelling error makes BMA #1 for that net search). I wish I could post more - it's just this thing called my job keeps getting in the way of my blogging damnit!

I don't read local daily newspapers very often, but since someone brought one in today I took a peek at lunch and I'm glad I did. There was a great article by Mark Sheilds in the Daily Herald opinion section entitled "Clinton is gone and so are years of prosperity" -


Here, according to columnist E.J. Dionne, is what candidate Michaud had to say to Clinton in October before 2,500 Maine citizens in Augusta: "The country's economy was in the ditch, and you made the hard decisions and turned things around. But the Republicans in Washington could never give you any credit. Oh no. They said it was not Bill Clinton who brought prosperity, it was the House Republicans and Alan Greenspan. Guess what? We still have the House Republicans. We still have Alan Greenspan. And where's the economy? Back in the ditch." This Michaud fellow is clearly on to something.



I read it during lunch and laughed at the last line in the article quite a bit. I highly recommend you take a look at it. Reminds me of that headline on an issue of the Onion with Bush on the cover saying "Our Long National Nightmare of Peace and Prosperity is Finally Over", except the Onion is parody and Mark's column is for real.

Arriana Huffington is in rare form, talking about The White House's efforts to undermine McCain Feingold. I guess McCain is pretty pissed since he got a promise from Bush and now - Big Surprise - they're backing out on him. I guess the White House is maintaining the facade that they care about campaign finance but behind the scenes they are doing everything and anything to see it goes down in flames. Luckily for you this article is free, no need for Salon Premium to read this one.

Here's a really thoughtful article on Bill O'Reilly and Chris Matthews, their respective (but not so respected) cable news shows and where they come from. It's a little older but still worth reading if you have the time.

Joe Conason is asking why no one in the liberal biased media (my own italics) is making a big deal about the covertly racist comments made by Trent Lott in regards to Strom Thrumond's failed run for President as a Dixiecrat in 1948, in light of his 100th birthday and his retirement in January.
"I want to say this about my state: When Strom Thurmond ran for president we voted for him. We're proud of it. And if the rest of the country had of followed our lead we wouldn't of had all these problems over all these years, either."


(If you don't know about the Dixiecrats/Strom Thurmond, it's when the Democratic party had it's big split with the solid south that had always voted Democratic after the Civil War - up until Hubert Humphrey, Minnesota Democrat brought it up and said this Jim Crow crap that we tolerate to keep the party together is ridiculous)

When you really think about it, I'm not totally surprised by the lack of coverage, although it does raise an eyebrow. The major media doesn't want to kick a 100 year old in the shins, and since you can't say anything to Trent Lott about this comment without making the geezer Strom look bad, they're giving that greasy bastard Lott a free pass. I just wish someone in the press would ask Lott for some clarification on just what all of these problems over all the years is exactly. I still can't belive that the GOP thinks he's the best they have to offer as Speaker for the Senate - what an embarrasment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home