Sunday, January 26, 2003

Here's an article that amounts to a short history lesson about the Argentinian invasion of the Falklan Islands by just recently passed from this world to the next General Leopoldo Galtieri, and the subsequent bitch slapping the General received from The UK (The Falkan Islands were British territory) I love stuff like this, we rarely hear about this stuff in history. Rarely are the details of another cultural and political landscape discussed in detail like this, especially when it has nothing to do with the US.

The author Mark Steyn of the Canadian National Post wrote this article and tied it into our current conflict in Iraq with Saddam all while backhanding Sheryl Crow in the process. I like Sheryl and all, and considering the pretentious snot nose music critic / college radio DJ I am I have never turned her off when one of her songs appear on the radio, and that's saying something! It's just that I'm a little tired of the whole "War is never the answer" rhetoric. War sucks, okay, but there are times when the options of not fighting are worse.

Before anyone goes apeshit, please don't misunderstand me. I don't think that war is the answer here and in many cases where we've used it in the past, and it may seem even a little inapproriate for me to argue for the possibility of war while simultaneously insulting our President on why he's wrong.

But if Middle America sees nothing but Pacifists saying "War is Never the Answer" on television then surely an awful lot of people are just going to get disgusted and dismiss the current anti-war position and movement. That's what worries me, people with relatives will fought in World War II or Korea and just think "stupid hippies, all of ya" and not listen to what they have to say at all. Instead the anti war crowd should be harping on the Bushies connections to selling WMD to Iraq and how this administration is completely unqualified to be calling for war against a nation that we essentially armed, the disingenuous arguments about concern for Democracy and the Kurds and blah blah blah, I'm just repeating myself.

Just read the article, alright? Make up your own mind, cause I can't verify any of this, I just liked it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home