Sunday, March 02, 2003

An article in the Orlando weekly about the raly I missed while I was in Florida. I spotted the article first linked via Suburban Limbo.

Here's a more pro rally article I came across. This quote from the article takes the cake;

"They don't understand the Middle East, and they don't understand the rest of the world," Wood said. "They don't understand that we have to do this in the name of freedom."

When you read something like this it makes me wonder. Do these people listen at all to anyone? If I thought someone would pay attention to what could be said about this war, to present some obvious and well documented facts about the history of this whole disaster in the making I'd say it's worth engaging in some kind of intellectual debate about the war. Unfortunately the thought that passes thru my head is "What's the use, no one is going to listen anyway". And I don't mean poor little old Palmer over here, I mean the people that showed up to that rally would just shout themselves hoarse talking about freedom and liberation and imminent threat and yada yada yada.

Do these people even care about the facts at all in any way? We live in a very strange age. I can't help but notice the Boutique-ification of our media. Don't like what one media outlet is saying? Just go to another one, they will give you exactly what you want to hear. There's three news cable stations and all three of them suck. We live in an age where facts are negotiable or even negligble. Half of the news shows out there don't deal with the facts, it's talking heads spouting their opinions. That's not news.

I can't help but think of Living Color and the lyrics to Cult of Personality. This President has brought nothing but disaster since he took office and yet people love him. For what? I have no idea......

Look into my eyes, what do you see?
Cult of Personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
I'm the Cult of Personality
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
I'm the Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality

Neon lights, A Nobel Prize
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
I'm the Cult of Personality
I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
I'm the Cult of Personality
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
I'm the Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality

Neon lights a Nobel Prize
A leader speaks, that leader dies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set you free

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You me power in your God's name
I'm every person you need to be
I'm the Cult of Personality

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home